Sunday, December 20, 2009

What's My Rule?

I used the 'What's My Question?' format to have the sixth graders practice writing rules (or as Everyday Math calls them, 'general cases') for various patterns.

I first demonstrated how to write a rule: (the constant difference/ or change) times the variable plus (or minus) the constant/ what doesn't change. Example: the perimeter of a triangle is 3. When 2 triangles are placed side by side so that one side touches, the perimeter is now 4. Three triangles side by side have a perimeter of 5. etc. So the change is +1. So 1T +2 (that doesn't change)=the total perimeter.
The "What's My Question?' format worked great! I left the previous examples up and reviewed the basics in between each pattern. The students had partners to help them out. They were very engaged, motivated, and excited. Writing one rule after another like this was very powerful for many of them. I could see the light in their eyes, and they're growing confidence.

Try it!
--Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment