Saturday, November 7, 2009

No Child Left Behind

I had a great week! My students were motivated, hard working, and --best of all--successful!

This is even better than it sounds, because I work with students who need a little extra support in order to succeed at Math.

It's easy for these students, (who are now in middle school, and may have had difficulties with Math for 6 or more years already) to give up: on their teachers; on Math; and, worst of all, on themselves.

When they come to me I refuse to let them give up. There is no "I can't." in my room. There is no giving up. Not trying is not an option.

That said, they sometimes still just go through the motions: doing as little work while with me as possible, and counting the minutes until class ends.

That is why this week was so special: not just for me, but for them. Because this week 2 of my students, who have been struggling mightily lately, had some success! And it makes all the difference!

Once a student who has been struggling succeeds, they begin to believe that they CAN DO IT! Their focus is better. They work harder. They continue to succeed. It really is a cycle.

We talk about this phenomenon in sports all of the time: winners' momentum. It's real. It's out there. And it can make a difference.

So-- in order for our students to begin to succeed, they need to begin to succeed. Or-- in order to believe in themselves, they have to see proof that they can do it.

So, how to begin this process?

Please send me your ideas.

--Lauren

2 comments:

  1. Effort is probably more important than ability. A student is more likely to make the effort if they begin to feel there is a chance that they can succeed.

    Once you create that cycle for the student, they will continue to make the effort.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the resource. It looks really rich, no pun intended, with ideas.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete