Sunday, October 18, 2009

Answering Questions via Circle Graphs

I tried something new with my 6th graders this week. I encouraged them to generate questions that might be answered through our sports survey data.

At first all of the questions posed were of the type: "How many students...?" I wanted to go more in depth; so I suggested that the questions we ask might start with the phrases, "Do more...?"; "Which sport do more ___?"; etc. The questions that we asked had to make a comparison of some sort in order for the circle graph to give us any information.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so explicit. Would they have understood the power of circle graphs more if I had allowed them to continue as they were, asking questions that would net only one quantity, then making circle graphs that were always completely shaded in?

How have you enabled your students to ask data questions? How much guidance is needed and how much is too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment